Because the Friends of the GPL does not have a permanent home we are unable to accept donations all year round.
Donations will start to be accepted again in early August, 2017.
In the meantime, please consider The Salvation Army, Value Village, Bibles for Missions, Goodwill, or other charitable organizations that accept used books and items for their charitable sales.
The Friends of the Guelph Public Library are very grateful for your donations – they help to make the sale the great success it has become year after year. If you feel you can hang on to them until later this year this is what we accept and (with regret) cannot accept for the annual sale:
Please note that donated items in poor condition are discarded during the pre-sale sorting process, and that disposal of these items is costly and time-consuming. The Friends will dispose of:
- Any item that is dirty, water damaged, mildewed or musty smelling
- Books with torn, or missing pages, or items that are severely worn (especially paperbacks)
- Hardcover books and paperbacks with pages so “yellowed” that the print is hard to read
- Books with very loose or broken bindings
- Games, puzzles or media sets with missing or broken pieces
- Any items showing signs of insect infestation or mold
With regret, we cannot accept:
- Items described above
- Audio-cassettes, or books on audio-cassette
- Magazines and Journals, either individual issues or collections such as large runs of National Geographic
- Encyclopedia sets
- Reader’s Digest condensed books
- Blank-page journals or diaries
- Books or media items whose content is no longer of general interest or utility – eg. very old medical or consumer help guides.
We gratefully accept:
- Fiction and non-fiction books in any language appealing to adults, young adults, and children
- Hardcover, soft-cover, trade-paperback, large-print books in any size ranging from mass-media paperback to large coffee table sized books
- Games and puzzles that are intact
- Sheet music
- Antiquarian, rare and collectable books (pre 1960 with a copyright date)
- Media – CD’s, books on CD (please no talking books on audio-cassettes), LP’s, DVD’s, blu-rays, video-cassettes